With remote hiring, companies can deal with the talent shortage by hiring talent from abroad. We show different ways to search for the right employees, give tips on how to write job advertisements for remote jobs, and explain what is important when selecting applicants.
Ways to look for talent
Those new to remote hiring may be unsure of the best ways to find the right team members. Here are a few options:
- Remote job boards: They specialize in remote jobs and therefore specifically attract people who want to work in this model.
- Local job boards: It is possible that certain countries or regions are particularly strong in the desired field, or that there are companies with specialized talent there. In that case, it may be worthwhile to post jobs on local job boards.
- Facebook groups: Specialized groups for remote jobs or digital nomads can be interesting to share job ads.
- Active sourcing: On LinkedIn, for example, it is possible to find and directly address talents who may not be looking but are open to offers. It is possible, for example, to search for and contact employees from specific companies or people from certain countries or regions.
Working with a recruiter can be worthwhile and save a lot of effort. However, the recruiter should be specialized in the search for remote talent so that they know and consider the special requirements. If the internal recruiting team takes over the task, training or consulting in advance is recommended.
In this article, we give more information about remote hiring.
Job ads for remote positions
There are some special aspects in job offers if the positions are to be filled remotely. This is another reason why an external recruiter or the company’s own HR department should have experience in the field. These four tips will help when creating the ads:
- Formulate the title correctly: The term “remote” should definitely appear in the title so that potential candidates know that the position may be of interest to them. It’s also a good idea to try ads with different job titles that emphasize different aspects of the job. Other titles may be more common in other countries, and a range will increase reach.
- Choose the right language: If you are looking for German-speaking talent only, you should write the job ad in German to avoid applications that do not have this qualification. If German is optional, the ad should be written in English.
- Focus on the big picture: People who work remotely need to be particularly independent and self-reliant. To appeal to these people, the ad should not list the range of tasks down to the last detail, but make it clear what contribution the new team member will bring and what makes the job special.
- Emphasize remote benefits: For example, if there is a budget for furnishing your own office or a monthly allowance for coworking, that should be mentioned. Those who want to work remotely will pay particular attention to this.
- Make conditions clear: Is the position completely remote, or is a regular presence in the office expected? Are there mandatory in-person meetings of the entire team? This should be evident from the start so that it doesn’t become clear at some point in the application process that the position is out of the question.
Identifying the right candidates
Communication is especially important in remote work because without face-to-face communication, misunderstandings between team members can occur more quickly. Therefore, good communication skills – both in writing and speaking – are fundamental and should be checked during the application process.
Experience with remote work is also an advantage. Some people find that the work model is not as good a fit for them as they thought. Lack of experience is not necessarily a deal-breaker, but in this case it is important that the person works independently and proactively. Otherwise, remote work may be difficult for them.
Remote workers often find it harder to detach themselves from work and may be less able to address problems. Therefore, they should have resilience to avoid experiencing burnout.
Depending on the team structure, diversity skills can also be an important quality. In international teams, tolerance, empathy and open-mindedness are needed to work together successfully.
Are you interested in remote hiring? We can help you find the right talent in no time. Learn more.